Saturday, May 28, 2005

a wedding and fruit hats

i had my first wedding dream... i don't ever really remember dreaming about getting married before. but i did today. no idea who the guy was... and at first i was walking around looking for everyone and my sister told me they must be getting married and i asked who was, and she said i was... and i said i knew i was getting married, but wouldn't i have to be PRESENT to get married and i kept yelling that i was a vital part of the ceremony. then at the end of the dream. i'm standing there with blank-man and i'm watching my mom and dad and some other people walk off across this wooden porchlike walkway holding hands... and each couple is wearing like... matching vegetable or fruit hats... my mom and dad were wearing banana hats. i just remember thinking how cute it was and sighing that now i had someone to hold hands with and wear a matching fruit/vege hat. but before everyone left... i was hugging them and just crying like there was no tomorrow. it felt uberreal. i distinctly remember hugging my parents, mizi, trish, then elaine, and (a little sister??). and it was happy tears but they were so strong... like... i didn't wanna let go tears... elaine's graduations weeping tears... but like i said... not sad.

my mom and i were talking about weddings the other day. by the time she was my age, she had elaine. she was so young. i'm not ready for that, but i'd always wanted to get married early and have kids early. my mother wont stop pestering me... like i can make the man of my dreams suddenly appear... even my DAD wants me to have a boyfriend. mr. terrifying himself. and today i turn 20. 2 decades. shi-it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bryan said...

Happy birthday. I think matching fruit hats are essential for human happiness. My family and friends have stopped asking me about when I'm getting married. They usually offer dry words of hopeful somedays or make disparaging remarks about how girls freak out and run once they realize how off the beaten path my interests are; attraction only carries one so far... That point lately comes after about two or three weeks.

I don't think that we should have to sell ourselves short by marrying prematurely just becuase society expects us to. When I think of marriage I imagine complete happiness, contentment, and the woozy giddiness of being in love. Sure it wouldn't always be like that, but why get married unless you feel that way. I've seen too many people get married without having that feeling and now they are mired in the droll routines of their lives, waiting to die.

Anyways, to answer your question about Arabic, I'm taking it becuase I am very interested in the cultures of the Middle East and feel that given the current instability there I could make a positive contribution to world peace. I'm doing the minor because Arabic is in very high demand among diplomatic, military and government carrers. My plans are mostly general and idealistic at this point and I have nothing lined up after I graduate this next May, but I plan on doing my best to make the world a better place, at least in whatever arena I end up in. What dialect do you speak?

3:34 AM, May 28, 2005  
Blogger Bryan said...

Ha, how observant I am, you already answered my question.
...i speak arabic fluently... but the palestinian/lebanese/syrian dialect...

3:45 AM, May 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home