Wednesday, August 23, 2006

giant baby steps

While at work today, i began thinking about the different people who have influenced me-- people i trust and/or that i would want to recommend me to the medical board for medical school. i believe i will choose 4 as references, although, there is not as far as i could see today, a place for references on the page, i'm pretty sure i need them. anyhow, i haven't decided but the following is a list of influential people that i am considering:

High School:

Melissa Lehmann
although the people i talk to think that using a high school teacher as a reference is silly, this is a teacher that is honestly the reason i went into microbiology and decided to become a docter, without her support and influence, i really would be doing advertising, politics, or some other thing. She was my first anatomy teacher and would allow me extra time to come in and focus on dissections, etc. She really had a passion for teaching and for anatomy, and she really cared about her students. she really made a huge impact on my decision, so i feel it would be appropriate to have her referral.


Jim Waddelow
i will most likely not be using waddelow because the field of music is a bit far off from medical sciences and high school is a reference i am trying to avoid in general. I would consider him for the fact that he is a teacher that knows me very well and could vouch for dedication, leadership, yada yada yada...


College:
the problem with college references is that most of my important classes for medical school are huge, hurting my chances for a teacher that knows me well enough to write a good recommendation.

Dr. Tracy
i will most likely use Dr. Tracy. I think she's really brilliant and i loved her class. I think the class i took with her is appropriate (History of Modern Medicine) and as it was a discussion class, i think she got a nice feel for how i work and how much i appreciate and find interest in medicine.

Dr. Al-Hawary
I had Dr. Al-Hawary for 2 full years of school... He was my Arabic professor, my arabic lit professor and my middle eastern studies advisor. I think we have enough of a personal relationship that he could easily write me a nice recommendation.


Other:

Paul Skierkowski (p-ski)
this is one of the pharmacist i work with. He has also been a professor and has a PhD. I think paul is probably a great writer, and has worked with me long enough to know my strengths, he realized i'm not an idiot, and i think he would really write me a great recommendation.

Charla Bohnert
this is my boss/head pharmacist. Charla knows my competance and could vouch for my work ethic and dedication. i think it would be healthy to have my boss write me a recommend, but i'm not sure.

Saba Bahouth
Family friend that is a professor at the university of oklahoma, Phd. He's known me since i was little and could do me justice.

Miziana Abyad
i'm not sure whether or not they would appreciate a peer recommendation, but if they are interested in anything like that, then mizi would be the one for it. she knows me completely and has seen me work over the years from the AP tests in high school through the MCAT studying last week.


this list is still growing, and is really only on this blog for my personal benefit, however, if you care enough to read it, power to you.

its so weird that i'm applying to medical school right now, putting in my courses, the schools i want to apply to, all the info... just made it so serious. it's really kinda terrifying and so final.

i have to write an essay soon. so i'm going to bed now so i can store up my charm for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home